Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Interning On The Set of "America The Movie"

Me in my intern/PA gear.

Several weekends ago I had the opportunity to intern as a Production Assistant (PA) on the set of America The Movie in Camden, SC at the Historic Camden Revolutionary War Site. My first time to Camden, a town 44 miles from the state capital of Columbia, SC. This was an opportunity not to be missed to learn from an experienced crew from Los Angeles, CA and eager to learn local crew.

The first item I received on the set after introducing myself to the Producers and the Director was a walkie talkie. I was ready to be put to work.  
I then walked with one of the PAs to the set. 
 
 
A close-up scene of the American soldiers.
The PAs & interns digging a hole in
the grass for an explosion scene.












The fog machine.

The Canon C300 camera.
In the thick of things. The camera operator
with the Canon C300.
How many PAs does it take remove a tarp of dirt? Four. 
I along with three other PAs removed the tarp before the start of the re-enactment of the Revolutionary War. Hundreds of patrons were in attendance to watch.


The RED Camera in action.
The RED Camera.











After filming the re-enactment scenes it was lunch time. The PAs and I set-up the tables to serve the food. The camera operators needed to be back onto the set, so they entered into the line first. Then the producers, directors, cast, & finally the interns/PAs. 

The food was catered by Camden's Old Armory Steaks & Seafood. I didn't eat the little slide burgers, but the salad and chicken wraps (choice of grilled or chicken salad) were DELICIOUS. I informed the owner, Demetrios Voulgarelis, of what I thought of the food and received a huge hug. He was so happy I enjoyed it. Indeed it was very good healthy eating.

The PAs and I cleaned the lunch setting and went back to the set. However, after arriving back on set, we were scolded for huddling too near each other and were scattered to various locations. It's a "No No" and the producers and directors always want you to ask what is needed next. Lesson learned. After two modern cars went into a shot, I volunteered to stop the cars. I was praised for taking the initiative.

At first it was slow, but then car after car kept coming. I held my hand up to get them to STOP; informed them we were filming; and had them turn around and depart out the site in a different direction. Only two persons were upset and one wanted to know how she could be in the movie. HaHa!! Everybody wants to be in the movies.

After the scenes were shot, I along with another PA, were asked to join in on an intense close-up scene. I took advantage of the opportunity to ask questions to the producers and crew members and they did not mind. What type of camera is this? Are you currently a College student? Which school? Where are you from?


Overall I had a great experience on the set. I even remembered to wear an extra layer of clothing as the evening got darker and colder. A point noted by filmmaker Ava DuVernay during her recent speaking engagement in Los Angeles, CA. Most importantly, I met 9 great PAs and interns whom I will keep it contact with. That is the great thing about the call sheet that was emailed the previous night. The call sheet had all the contact names, numbers, and email addresses of all producers, directors, crew, actors, and PAs.

 America The Movie is a feature film that will be screened in limited theaters across the country Summer 2014.

Have you been a PA? What is your experience? Are you interested in becoming a PA? Comment below.


Rhonda W. & Sharee W.

2 comments:

  1. I worked as a PA as well and although it was several years ago I really enjoyed it.

    I am anticipating the chance to be an PA again in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know if I hear of any PA positions. Some may not be in this area though. You may have to travel to gain experience. Also, consider being a PA on a commercial set, which this area is more known for.

      Delete